Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas!

I debated even posting this, but since this is my journal, I do want to have this written down. I published it not to pat ourselves on the back, but hopefully to inspire others.
Last night we were able to deliver presents to two families that are in need this Christmas season. My Mom and Dad are on an inner city mission and have been fortunate enough to meet some neat families. One of the families is from Africa. They actually lived in a refugee camp and were able to come to the US, this year. The family doesn't speak any English. The kids have been picking up English at school, then coming home and teaching their parents. My parents have been teaching them English on Sunday's too. Because of the language barrier, it has been hard for them to find work. They are beautiful people with beautiful hearts.
The second family is amazing, they are a family of ten! Eight kids! Not only do they have a huge family, they have taken in two other people, a 14 year old girl and an older lady. Making the new total 12!! They too are an amazing, humble family. They only asked for help with the two extra people that they have taken in, when they too could use some help this holiday season. My parents have been working hard to collect donations and gifts to make their Christmas wonderful!
Last year, I was able to use my bows as a means to serve. I had a bow party and used all of the profits to make dinners for a family. With the help of my family, we were able to make frozen dinners to last an entire month! The mother of this family had passed away a few months prior to Christmas. They were having a really difficult time juggling everything, life, and kids schedules. They had five kids. A 15 year old girl, 13 year old girl, 11 year old boy, 7 year old boy and 5 year old girl. The dad worked all day, leaving the two oldest girls to make dinner, clean the house, do laundry, help with homework, walk to and from dance lessons, and baseball (when in season) It was obvious they all were working overtime and just needed a break!
I think it is safe to say that it is tradition for our family to help out were we can. The first sub for Santa (that I can remember) was when I was 5. We collected money for my aunt and uncle. My uncle was diagnosed with a really rare disease. He and one other guy have it. They gave him only a few years to live. (He is actually still alive!) It was a really difficult time for them. My aunt knew how to do hair. In order for them to pay any bills she need to provide the income. The problem was that she didn't have a salon in the house, and she needed to stay home to help my uncle. The basement wasn't finished, but my cousins were sleeping down there anyway. I remember thinking it was so sad, they didn't have closet doors, or anything! Anyway, we (my parents) were able to collect enough money to finish their basement with a salon too! Not only that, they came up with lots of presents too!
I love Christmas time, and the spirit of Christmas! It is always amazing to me to see the amount of charity in others hearts. Please if you have any neat stories, please leave them. I love hearing what others have done.
Wishing you and your families a very
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

5 comments:

Jake and Stephanie Perrin said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Im so thankful for people like you who are willing to help families in the time of need. We helped a family in our ward 2 years ago and its such a great feeling. Your christmas party sounds fun! That is funny how your girls dont like santa.. What age did you start Kaybree and Oakley in dance? I want to start Kayleigh in March when she is 3. I hope you have a MERRY CHIRSTMAS!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing what Christmas is all about! Merry Christmas!

Young Family said...

Thanks for sharing. That is really neat!

Brandon and Tenille said...

I love that your family has done this. My family has been the recipient of this kindness before and let me tell you it makes life so much easier and if it wasnt for those people who helped my parents a few times we wouldnt have had any xmas a few times so keep up the good work it I am sure is greatly appreciated.....

Nate and Marcie said...

What a great tradition to have every year! I bet what your family is doing is making a huge difference for these families in their lives. One of my favorite Christmas memories is when we decided to give some of our Christmas to some friends who's baby was born with health complications and died at the age of 2. I was pretty young but I still remember how great it felt to serve and sacrifice, the true spirit of Christmas. I bet your girls will remember these memories better than you think.