Saturday, January 10, 2009

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

So recently The "Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act" was passed. This act will end my bow business. Not only will it put me out of business, but almost every other childrens business out there. Here, read for yourself....
The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban. Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

8 comments:

John and Ashley said...

That totally stinks. Well, you better have a bunch of parties before the 10th. What am I going to do now? It's a good thing we're such good friends so you'll still make them for me. J/K

Kylee said...

Are you serious? I am in need of some girls bows. Maybe I can get some from you.

Jessica said...

That is so sad, sorry! I was coming to your blog to tell you that I was going to have to order some bows from you becuase we found ou today that we are having a little girl!! (well 80% sure) So I need girly things. I guess I will order sooner than later! Should I order before I go back to MO?

Melinda said...

That is a bummer. I am so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I saw a story on the news and thought of you. I am so sorry. You make the best bows!

The Dabo's said...

Are you kidding me? That sucks big time. Well I will have to come shopping before Feb okay.

heidi larsen said...

can't you just buy products that are "certified lead free"? like ribbons and whatever you need for your bows? that seems like such a joke. there has to be a way to get around it. DO NOT GIVE UP! :)

Emilee said...

did they pass it then? I'm so sorry. I have been reading about this lately and it is so LAME!