This morning, before school, I was able to take the girls to the "Healing Field." It really was neat to see all of the flags flying together. I realize how very blessed we are to live in America.
On Sept. 11th, 2001, I was on my way to work, on the radio, they were talking about a plane crash, but they were not sure of any details. I got to work and immediately turned on the TV. (I worked in an ortho office. We had TVs in the ceiling above each chair.) I was watching the TV and trying to make sense of everything that was happening. Then the second airplane hit. I thought I was watching a replay, until I realized that there were two clouds of smoke. We were all glued to the TVs for the rest of the week.
I am very grateful to all that serve this country, and for their sacrifice, that my family and I might enjoy the peace and pleasures of life.



4 comments:
I was on my way to work when we heard something about a plane hitting a building in NYC, but it was stated in passing and not detailed to any degree. Upon arriving at the office and setting up our equipment, the office staff began to bring us regular updates. The surreality of the ideas weighing in my mind insufficed for the gravity of the events. After arriving home in the afternoon, the television illuminated my fears and dashed my image of 'reality' and my one previous literal vision of NYC from the JFK airport (in which the towers were in view). It continues to be a surreal experience each time I come across images and sounds from that day.
An interesting addition to this experience, personally, is the relative closeness I was to one who attempted to carry out further attacks. On the day infamous shoe-bomber Richard Reid departed Paris on an American Airlines jet, I arrived in Paris aboard a Delta flight. Upon exiting the plane, we passed through the seats of those waiting to board the American flight to Miami, on which Reid would attempt to explode the cabin. Yet, the news of that event did not reach me until I returned home in January!
Even in Paris and Tours, France, I was amazed how monumental these events were globally. Signs/advertisements and posters throughout France showed the towers with an American flag draped in the background. Yet, nothing was quite as striking as when footage of the Guard at Buckingham Palace showed them, for the first time ever, playing a different national anthem in honor of the American pain felt that day--- that moment literally brought me to tears.
It is amazing how a small community of individuals and an ideology can alter all of our lives in only a few moments time. Sorry I've dragged on....
What a neat thing to do with your kids. They look so cute.
That is so neat. I am ashamed to admit that my kids probably have no idea about what happened on September 11th seven years ago. You have inspired me to inform them, maybe for Family Home evening or something. How did you explain it to your kids?
What a neat place to take the girls.
Hey how did you get the sign that says "I belong"?
Post a Comment